The 2015 Big Ears Festival is here Friday through Sunday, March 27-29. Passes are still available at http://bigearsfestival.com. For complete information on the artists and what to expect from them, check out this week’s issue of the Knoxville Mercury with a special pull-out-and-carry guide. The Knoxville Mercury is available in stands and racks all over the city. Here’s a link to the festival introduction online, but I urge you to pick up a print copy.
Some readers have mentioned the almost overwhelming number of acts and activities with the question–“how do you choose?” Admittedly, there are some agonizing choices to make, particularly if you want to avail yourselves of some of the film screenings AND certain music acts. Here are a few of my recommendations for what it’s worth.
1) It will hard to miss Kronos as they are performing in multiple slots and different locations with a variety of other artists. You can’t go wrong with any of them.
2) Max Richter. Richter has two slots, one on Saturday evening at the Bijou and one on Sunday evening at the Tennessee Theatre. Check out my Knoxville Mercury article on him here.
3) Tyondai Braxton: HIVE, a real multi-media experience
4) Ben Frost Iceland-based composer offering a true sonic experience.
5) A Winged Victory for the Sullen, masters of the ambience.
6) Laurie Anderson. Don’t think about this, just go.
7) Filmmaker Jim Jarmusch’s band SQÜRL
8) Don’t stop here. There’s a ton more.